- Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and
all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.
- Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual
milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
- now that you have tasted that the Lord is
- As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected
by men but chosen by God and precious to him --
- you also, like living stones, are being built
into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices
acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
- For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay
a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts
in him will never be put to shame."
- Now to you who believe, this stone is precious.
But to those who do not believe, "The stone the builders rejected has
become the capstone,"
- and, "A stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the
message--which is also what they were destined for.
- But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood,
a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises
of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
- Once you were not a people, but now you are
the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received
- Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers
in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.
- Live such good lives among the pagans that,
though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify
God on the day he visits us.
- Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to
every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme
- or to governors, who are sent by him to punish
those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.
- For it is God's will that by doing good you
should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
- Live as free men, but do not use your freedom
as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.
- Show proper respect to everyone: Love the
brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
- Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters
with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also
to those who are harsh.
- For it is commendable if a man bears up under
the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God.
- But how is it to your credit if you receive
a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good
and you endure it, this is commendable before God.
- To this you were called, because Christ suffered
for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
- "He committed no sin, and no deceit
was found in his mouth."
- When they hurled their insults at him, he
did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted
himself to him who judges justly.
- He himself bore our sins in his body on the
tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds
you have been healed.
- For you were like sheep going astray, but
now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.