- The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus
and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
- He replied, "When evening comes, you
say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,'
- and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy,
for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance
of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
- A wicked and adulterous generation looks
for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah."
Jesus then left them and went away.
- When they went across the lake, the disciples
forgot to take bread.
- "Be careful," Jesus said to them.
"Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees."
- They discussed this among themselves and
said, "It is because we didn't bring any bread."
- Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, "You
of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread
- Do you still not understand? Don't you remember
the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered
- Or the seven loaves for the four thousand,
and how many basketfuls you gathered ?
- How is it you don't understand that I was
not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of
the Pharisees and Sadducees."
- Then they understood that he was not telling
them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of
the Pharisees and Sadducees.
- When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea
Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is
- They replied, "Some say John the Baptist;
others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
- "But what about you?" he asked.
"Who do you say I am ?"
- Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,
the Son of the living God."
- Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon
son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in
- And I tell you that you are Peter, and on
this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome
- I will give you the keys of the kingdom of
heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you
loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
- Then he warned his disciples not to tell
anyone that he was the Christ.
- From that time on Jesus began to explain
to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the
hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must
be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
- Peter took him aside and began to rebuke
him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you
- Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get
behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind
the things of God, but the things of men."
- Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If
anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and
- For whoever wants to save his life will lose
it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.
- What good will it be for a man if he gains
the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange
for his soul ?
- For the Son of Man is going to come in his
Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according
to what he has done.
- I tell you the truth, some who are standing
here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."