- When he came down from the mountainside,
large crowds followed him.
- A man with leprosy came and knelt before
him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."
- Jesus reached out his hand and touched the
man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" Immediately
he was cured of his leprosy.
- Then Jesus said to him, "See that you
don't tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift
Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."
- When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion
came to him, asking for help.
- "Lord," he said, "my servant
lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering."
- Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal
- The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not
deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant
will be healed.
- For I myself am a man under authority, with
soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,'
and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."
- When Jesus heard this, he was astonished
and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found
anyone in Israel with such great faith.
- I say to you that many will come from the
east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac
and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.
- But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown
outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
- Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go!
It will be done just as you believed it would." And his servant was healed
at that very hour.
- When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw
Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.
- He touched her hand and the fever left her,
and she got up and began to wait on him.
- When evening came, many who were demon-possessed
were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all
- This was to fulfill what was spoken through
the prophet Isaiah: "He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases."
- When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave
orders to cross to the other side of the lake.
- Then a teacher of the law came to him and
said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
- Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and
birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
- Another disciple said to him, "Lord,
first let me go and bury my father."
- But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and
let the dead bury their own dead."
- Then he got into the boat and his disciples
- Without warning, a furious storm came up
on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.
- The disciples went and woke him, saying,
"Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
- He replied, "You of little faith, why
are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves,
and it was completely calm.
- The men were amazed and asked, "What
kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"
- When he arrived at the other side in the
region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met
him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.
- "What do you want with us, Son of God?"
they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed
- Some distance from them a large herd of pigs
- The demons begged Jesus, "If you drive
us out, send us into the herd of pigs."
- He said to them, "Go!" So they
came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep
bank into the lake and died in the water.
- Those tending the pigs ran off, went into
the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed
- Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus.
And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.