- Hear this word, you cows of Bashan on Mount
Samaria, you women who oppress the poor and crush the needy and say to your
husbands, "Bring us some drinks !"
- The Sovereign LORD has sworn by his holiness:
"The time will surely come when you will be taken away with hooks, the
last of you with fishhooks.
- You will each go straight out through breaks
in the wall, and you will be cast out toward Harmon," declares the LORD.
- "Go to Bethel and sin; go to Gilgal
and sin yet more. Bring your sacrifices every morning, your tithes every three
- Burn leavened bread as a thank offering
and brag about your freewill offerings -- boast about them, you Israelites,
for this is what you love to do," declares the Sovereign LORD.
- "I gave you empty stomachs in every
city and lack of bread in every town, yet you have not returned to me,"
declares the LORD.
- "I also withheld rain from you when
the harvest was still three months away. I sent rain on one town, but withheld
it from another. One field had rain; another had none and dried up.
- People staggered from town to town for water
but did not get enough to drink, yet you have not returned to me," declares
- "Many times I struck your gardens and
vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew. Locusts devoured your fig
and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD.
- "I sent plagues among you as I did
to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured
horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have
not returned to me," declares the LORD.
- "I overthrew some of you as I overthrew
Sodom and Gomorrah. You were like a burning stick snatched from the fire,
yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD.
- "Therefore this is what I will do to
you, Israel, and because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God,
- He who forms the mountains, creates the
wind, and reveals his thoughts to man, he who turns dawn to darkness, and
treads the high places of the earth -- the LORD God Almighty is his name.