- Be careful to follow every command I am
giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess
the land that the LORD promised on oath to your forefathers.
- Remember how the LORD your God led you all
the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in
order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.
- He humbled you, causing you to hunger and
then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known,
to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that
comes from the mouth of the LORD.
- Your clothes did not wear out and your feet
did not swell during these forty years.
- Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines
his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you.
- Observe the commands of the LORD your God,
walking in his ways and revering him.
- For the LORD your God is bringing you into
a good land -- a land with streams and pools of water, with springs flowing
in the valleys and hills;
- a land with wheat and barley, vines and
fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey;
- a land where bread will not be scarce and
you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper
out of the hills.
- When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise
the LORD your God for the good land he has given you.
- Be careful that you do not forget the LORD
your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I
am giving you this day.
- Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied,
when you build fine houses and settle down,
- and when your herds and flocks grow large
and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied,
- then your heart will become proud and you
will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land
- He led you through the vast and dreadful
desert, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions.
He brought you water out of hard rock.
- He gave you manna to eat in the desert,
something your fathers had never known, to humble and to test you so that
in the end it might go well with you.
- You may say to yourself, "My power
and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me."
- But remember the LORD your God, for it is
he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant,
which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.
- If you ever forget the LORD your God and
follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you
today that you will surely be destroyed.
- Like the nations the LORD destroyed before
you, so you will be destroyed for not obeying the LORD your God.