- When Jeremiah finished telling the people
all the words of the LORD their God -- everything the LORD had sent him to
tell them --
- Azariah son of Hoshaiah and Johanan son
of Kareah and all the arrogant men said to Jeremiah, "You are lying!
The LORD our God has not sent you to say, 'You must not go to Egypt to settle
- But Baruch son of Neriah is inciting you
against us to hand us over to the Babylonians, so they may kill us or carry
us into exile to Babylon."
- So Johanan son of Kareah and all the army
officers and all the people disobeyed the LORD'S command to stay in the land
- Instead, Johanan son of Kareah and all the
army officers led away all the remnant of Judah who had come back to live
in the land of Judah from all the nations where they had been scattered.
- They also led away all the men, women and
children and the king's daughters whom Nebuzaradan commander of the imperial
guard had left with Gedaliah son of Ahikam, the son of Shaphan, and Jeremiah
the prophet and Baruch son of Neriah.
- So they entered Egypt in disobedience to
the LORD and went as far as Tahpanhes.
- In Tahpanhes the word of the LORD came to
- "While the Jews are watching, take
some large stones with you and bury them in clay in the brick pavement at
the entrance to Pharaoh's palace in Tahpanhes.
- Then say to them, 'This is what the LORD
Almighty, the God of Israel, says: I will send for my servant Nebuchadnezzar
king of Babylon, and I will set his throne over these stones I have buried
here; he will spread his royal canopy above them.
- He will come and attack Egypt, bringing
death to those destined for death, captivity to those destined for captivity,
and the sword to those destined for the sword.
- He will set fire to the temples of the gods
of Egypt; he will burn their temples and take their gods captive. As a shepherd
wraps his garment around him, so will he wrap Egypt around himself and depart
from there unscathed.
- There in the temple of the sun in Egypt
he will demolish the sacred pillars and will burn down the temples of the
gods of Egypt.'"