- "Call if you will, but who will answer
you? To which of the holy ones will you turn ?
- Resentment kills a fool, and envy slays
- I myself have seen a fool taking root, but
suddenly his house was cursed.
- His children are far from safety, crushed
in court without a defender.
- The hungry consume his harvest, taking it
even from among thorns, and the thirsty pant after his wealth.
- For hardship does not spring from the soil,
nor does trouble sprout from the ground.
- Yet man is born to trouble as surely as
sparks fly upward.
- "But if it were I, I would appeal to
God; I would lay my cause before him.
- He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
- He bestows rain on the earth; he sends water
upon the countryside.
- The lowly he sets on high, and those who
mourn are lifted to safety.
- He thwarts the plans of the crafty, so that
their hands achieve no success.
- He catches the wise in their craftiness,
and the schemes of the wily are swept away.
- Darkness comes upon them in the daytime;
at noon they grope as in the night.
- He saves the needy from the sword in their
mouth; he saves them from the clutches of the powerful.
- So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts
- "Blessed is the man whom God corrects;
so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.
- For he wounds, but he also binds up; he
injures, but his hands also heal.
- From six calamities he will rescue you;
in seven no harm will befall you.
- In famine he will ransom you from death,
and in battle from the stroke of the sword.
- You will be protected from the lash of the
tongue, and need not fear when destruction comes.
- You will laugh at destruction and famine,
and need not fear the beasts of the earth.
- For you will have a covenant with the stones
of the field, and the wild animals will be at peace with you.
- You will know that your tent is secure;
you will take stock of your property and find nothing missing.
- You will know that your children will be
many, and your descendants like the grass of the earth.
- You will come to the grave in full vigor,
like sheaves gathered in season.
- "We have examined this, and it is true.
So hear it and apply it to yourself."