- Then Job replied:
- "If only my anguish could be weighed
and all my misery be placed on the scales !
- It would surely outweigh the sand of the
seas -- no wonder my words have been impetuous.
- The arrows of the Almighty are in me, my
spirit drinks in their poison; God's terrors are marshaled against me.
- Does a wild donkey bray when it has grass,
or an ox bellow when it has fodder ?
- Is tasteless food eaten without salt, or
is there flavor in the white of an egg?
- I refuse to touch it; such food makes me
- "Oh, that I might have my request,
that God would grant what I hope for,
- that God would be willing to crush me, to
let loose his hand and cut me off!
- Then I would still have this consolation
-- my joy in unrelenting pain -- that I had not denied the words of the Holy
- "What strength do I have, that I should
still hope? What prospects, that I should be patient ?
- Do I have the strength of stone? Is my flesh
- Do I have any power to help myself, now
that success has been driven from me ?
- "A despairing man should have the devotion
of his friends, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
- But my brothers are as undependable as intermittent
streams, as the streams that overflow
- when darkened by thawing ice and swollen
with melting snow,
- but that cease to flow in the dry season,
and in the heat vanish from their channels.
- Caravans turn aside from their routes; they
go up into the wasteland and perish.
- The caravans of Tema look for water, the
traveling merchants of Sheba look in hope.
- They are distressed, because they had been
confident; they arrive there, only to be disappointed.
- Now you too have proved to be of no help;
you see something dreadful and are afraid.
- Have I ever said, 'Give something on my
behalf, pay a ransom for me from your wealth,
- deliver me from the hand of the enemy, ransom
me from the clutches of the ruthless' ?
- "Teach me, and I will be quiet; show
me where I have been wrong.
- How painful are honest words! But what do
your arguments prove?
- Do you mean to correct what I say, and treat
the words of a despairing man as wind ?
- You would even cast lots for the fatherless
and barter away your friend.
- "But now be so kind as to look at me.
Would I lie to your face ?
- Relent, do not be unjust; reconsider, for
my integrity is at stake.
- Is there any wickedness on my lips? Can
my mouth not discern malice ?