- Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding
raise her voice ?
- On the heights along the way, where the
paths meet, she takes her stand;
- beside the gates leading into the city,
at the entrances, she cries aloud:
- "To you, O men, I call out; I raise
my voice to all mankind.
- You who are simple, gain prudence; you who
are foolish, gain understanding.
- Listen, for I have worthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
- My mouth speaks what is true, for my lips
- All the words of my mouth are just; none
of them is crooked or perverse.
- To the discerning all of them are right;
they are faultless to those who have knowledge.
- Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
- for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
- "I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
I possess knowledge and discretion.
- To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate
pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.
- Counsel and sound judgment are mine; I have
understanding and power.
- By me kings reign and rulers make laws that
- by me princes govern, and all nobles who
rule on earth.
- I love those who love me, and those who
seek me find me.
- With me are riches and honor, enduring wealth
- My fruit is better than fine gold; what
I yield surpasses choice silver.
- I walk in the way of righteousness, along
the paths of justice,
- bestowing wealth on those who love me and
making their treasuries full.
- "The LORD brought me forth as the first
of his works, before his deeds of old;
- I was appointed from eternity, from the
beginning, before the world began.
- When there were no oceans, I was given birth,
when there were no springs abounding with water;
- before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
- before he made the earth or its fields or
any of the dust of the world.
- I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
- when he established the clouds above and
fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
- when he gave the sea its boundary so the
waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations
of the earth.
- Then I was the craftsman at his side. I
was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence,
- rejoicing in his whole world and delighting
- "Now then, my sons, listen to me; blessed
are those who keep my ways.
- Listen to my instruction and be wise; do
not ignore it.
- Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching
daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway.
- For whoever finds me finds life and receives
favor from the LORD.
- But whoever fails to find me harms himself;
all who hate me love death."